Monday, August 2, 2010

Transitions

It's amazing what can change within a few short years. Three years ago, I was celebrating my new-found freedom from a jail known as "high school" by sleeping until the afternoon, blowing through paychecks, and partying as much as possible. That was my life and overall, it was kinda nice. I had very few responsibilities and obligations; if I wanted to stay up until 4am and sleep until 3pm, that was my decision. My main priorities: get rich (still very high up on my list) and get drunk.

The life I was living came crashing down around me when one little blue line crossed over another, and I knew that I was pregnant.

You would think the transition from aloof party girl to responsible mom may be hard, but it was actually quite simple. There was no conscious pledge to quit drinking or to eat healthier - it just happened on its own. With each passing day, drinking milk sounded better to me than pop; buying that cute $40 dress seemed pointless when I'd outgrow it within a month; staying up past midnight was nearly impossible to handle. Without much effort, I said goodbye to weekends packed with binge drinking and late night video gaming and hello to motherhood.

Don't get me wrong: I still drink occasionally, eat greasy food with zero health benefits, stay up too late to beat the next level on a game, and you can't separate me from a delicious can of Coca Cola.

Now, the proud (and often frazzled) mother of two girls, I can honestly say I enjoy my life much more as it is than as it was. Keeping to the path I was on, I may have spent most of my twenties trying to figure out what I wanted from life. Having children gave me a purpose: Love, support, and provide for my children.

I don't define myself simply by my role as a mother. Motherhood is a very big part of my life, especially as a stay-at-home-mom, but there is more to me than that. I am also a college student, fiance, dedicated friend, video gamer, Japan-ophile, and many other things.

The title of this blog, "Love AKA Life" is sort of a play on words. I LOVE my LIFE, and my life wouldn't be the way it is now if not for my two beautiful daughters, Aubrey (2years) and Allison (7months). The AKA stands for two things: "Also Known As", because the things I love are my life... and the idea that I always have my most precious counterparts close to me.

Allison.Kara.Aubrey.

2 comments:

  1. Keeping to the path I was on, I may have spent most of my twenties.....???? You're 21! :)

    ReplyDelete